How to measure your whippet using the Occam coat size guide
Our sighthound specific measuring system.
Choosing the right size coat for your whippet or Italian greyhound can be confusing. Here’s our step by step guide to help you determine the right size coat for your dog.
Note - Our sizing system is unique to Occam products as we created it ourselves. Each size reflects the specific cut, fit and shape of our coats and jumpers.
What you’ll need
You’ll need a few things to get started before measuring your whippet or Italian greyhound.
- Measuring tape (one that measures in centimetres)
- Pen or pencil
- A piece of paper
- Treats (if your dog is particularly fidgety treats are a good bribe to keep them still)
- An additional person (not essential, but an extra pair of hands does help)
Measuring your sighthound
There are three measurements needed to find your sighthound’s fit: length, chest and neck all in cm.
1. Length - the distance between the base of the neck and where the tail meets the spine
Lay your measuring tape flat against the back of your whippet or Italian greyhound. Holding one end to the base of their neck and take the measurement from the point where the tape meets the tail. Note this down in centimetres on your piece of paper.
2. Chest - the circumference of the deepest part of your dog's chest
Take a look at your whippet or Italian greyhound from the side and assess where the deepest part of their chest is. Place the tape around them, making sure you’re getting the measurement for the widest part of their body. For the most accurate result It helps to keep the tape ‘line’ perpendicular to the floor. Make a note of this measurement.
3. Neck - the circumference of the base of your dog’s neck
Place your tape gently around the base of your sighthound's neck, roughly where the bottom of their collar will sit. Take the measurement and jot it down.
We've also created a handy demonstration video over on instagram below:
- Always measure your whippet or Italian greyhound before ordering your coat. Never assume that your dog will be a certain size based on their weight or look. Sighthounds come in all shapes and sizes, and it’s always best to take your dog’s specific measurements.
- If you have a friend, or know of someone that owns an Occam coat or jumper, ask if you can try theirs on for size. This will give you a good idea of fit for your sighthound.
- If you’re purchasing a onesie that covers all four of your dog’s legs, make sure that their knees stay within the garment at all times. Ill-fitting coats, jumpers and onesies can become hazardous for sighthounds.
Need some help finding your sighthound’s size?
We’re always here to help you find the right size for your whippet or Italian greyhound. If your measurements aren’t adding up, or you’d like some guidance, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org